This tip was originally sent to our mailing list as part of our One Thing Wednesday series! We created our One Thing Wednesday email series to help the housewares industry make the next best move. Each week, we focus on one important marketing initiative you can + should be taking on to improve your digital presence + overall brand performance online.
Not getting our emails? Get on the list!
Here at epower at home, we’re big fans of data + Google Search Console is a great source for it! Search Console is free to use, relatively easy to install + provides you with so much information on the health + use of your website. It’s a must-have for housewares brands looking to improve their performance on search engines!
What It Is:
Google Search Console provides tools + reports directly from Google that let you understand how the search engine sees your site, what errors are preventing you from better search results + how your website is performing on the search engine. It provides you with specific instructions + recommendations for getting better search visibility on Google.
How To Use It:
There’s a lot of information in Google Search Console, which you can use to optimize your content, better understand your coverage on Google + review any issues or errors that are preventing you from getting better results. Here are a few of the most important reports to check in Google Search Console:
- Performance: Within the performance reports, you’ll see how many clicks + impressions your website is getting on Google. You can sort by queries, pages, dates + more to really understand how people are clicking through from Google to your website.
- Coverage: Is there something technically wrong with your website that’s stopping you from earning great search visibility? These reports will shine light on those issues! From redirect errors to URLs being blocked from the search engines completely, these reports are really important for optimizing your website.
- Sitemaps: Is your XML sitemap submitted to Google with no errors? Your XML sitemap is like a roadmap for Google to all the important pages, blog posts + products on your site. Within Google Search Console, you can submit your XML sitemap to point Google in the right direction + make sure your website is getting crawled + indexed efficiently!
- Enhancements: Within this section, you’ll get a sneak peek at everything you need to improve your site’s performance – from site speed to mobile usability, structured data to AMP use + more! Check your Core Web Vitals then dig deeper for opportunities for improvement.
- Security Issues: Have you been penalized by Google? We hope not! If you have, the details can be found within this section of Google Search Console. There are a lot of ways to get penalized + a lot of digital marketing agencies that take shortcuts – letting their clients pay the price. It’s important you’re aware of any spammy practices happening with your site.
Not sure if you have Google Search Console set up for your site? Getting lost in the data + recommendations provided? We can help! Google Search Console is free to use + a tool our team works in every day. We’re happy to translate what you’re finding or help you get set up!