This tip was originally sent to our mailing list as part of our One Thing Wednesday series! We created our One Thing Wednesday email series to help the housewares industry make the next best move. Each week, we focus on one important marketing initiative you can + should be taking on to improve your digital presence + overall brand performance online.
Not getting our emails? Get on the list!
On Google, you want your website to show up as often as possible on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP). The more real estate you can earn on the first page of Google for relevant searches, the better! There are more than 20 different ways your website can be featured on Google, organized between five buckets – “Local,” “Advertising,” “Knowledge Graph,” “Vertical” + “General.” With so many ways to generate better visibility for your products, it’s important to understand your options + opportunities! Here are a few that you should be focused on for your brand:
- Organic listings: These listings haven’t changed much over the years + depend heavily on how well your website is optimized. Google takes over 200 factors into account when determining which URLs get top search visibility. Your site needs to be informative, provide a great user experience + be easy to crawl. While these listings are free or unpaid on Google, investing in your website’s optimization is an important digital marketing strategy! You should also be thinking outside the box when it comes to your organic results. Your digital footprint extends beyond your website – are your other channels generating organic listings as well?
- Ads: There are a variety of ad types + they can appear in a few different spots on a search results page! Ad positions are ranked based on relevance and bids, but budget + campaign optimization also play a role. Your advertising team should be able to explain their strategy in how they get your ads placed + why, as well as how those placements are paying off for you!
- Shopping Results: Earlier this year, Google announced that they were transitioning Google Shopping from a paid ad auction model to mostly free listings! Now you have the opportunity to increase your exposure by integrating your organic + advertising efforts through Google Shopping. Those willing to pay to show their products on Google’s paid Shopping results will see significantly more exposure (+ sales!) from the Shopping platform.
- Image Pack: Visual content is so valuable to housewares brands + getting your images featured in a Google Image Pack can generate great click-thrus for your products! Your images should be well optimized to earn real estate here.
- Featured Snippet: Google searches its index and creates a special organic result with information taken from a target page. The information is presented directly within the SERPs, so a user doesn’t have to click through to a website to actually get the information they are looking for (though they typically have a higher click-thru-rate than regular organic results)! From a marketing perspective, you’ll want to think really hard about the types of questions asked about your product or brand, or the problems your products solve + create very specific, informative content answering those questions to earn Featured Snippet results.
How is your brand doing in terms of SERP real estate? Think beyond just your products to consider your blog posts, social profiles, retail channels + more. You want search visibility for the key phrases that matter most to your brand + you want those clicks to result in sales or leads. Have you earned the right visibility on the search engines for your brand, or is your competition getting all the clicks? If you’re struggling to gain the search visibility you want, let’s set up a time to talk!