This tip was originally sent to our mailing list as part of our One Thing Wednesday series! We created our One Thing Wednesday email series to help the housewares industry make the next best move. Each week, we focus on one important marketing initiative you can + should be taking on to improve your digital presence + overall brand performance online.
Not getting our emails? Get on the list!
You know who your biggest competitors are in the industry, but do you know how you stack up to them online? Keeping an eye on your competition’s digital performance is important + should be a part of your marketing team’s routine! Here at epower at home, we’re a pretty competitive bunch. We want our clients to see the results of our work + some of our favorite results to showcase are when we outperform a client’s competition!
Unless you know what you’re up against online, you won’t be able to outperform your competition. When metrics like organic search rankings or ad positions change, it’s important to know why, so you can respond effectively. If you’re ready to tap into your competitive streak, here are some great ways to start! Remember, only look at the metrics that matter most + impact your business goals!
- Search visibility for shared key phrases – Who’s ranking for your top key phrases + what pages hold the top positions? Are there product pages ranking higher than yours? Do they have blog posts or other content that’s outranking you? Tools like Moz can let you know where you sit on the results pages + what’s ranking well so you can incorporate those wins into your optimization strategy.
- Number of inbound links – How many links have they earned from other websites? Google takes this number into account, because links from high quality, relevant websites signal to Google that your content is trustworthy + valuable. Inbound links are also important for driving referral traffic + offer new ways for visitors to find your site. Are you earning as many links as the competition?
- Audience growth + engagement on social media – With so many metrics and data points to look at on the social channels, we look at vanity metrics (likes + followers), then take a deep dive into engagement metrics like comments, shares, RT’s + more. All brands want bigger + better social audiences, but it’s also important to watch what those audiences do. Just getting new followers is great, but if they aren’t engaging with a brand’s content, they aren’t really that valuable.
- Content development + distribution – Check your competitors’ websites, blogs + social channels. Sign up for their newsletters! How much content are they pushing out + how are they distributing it? Are they actively publishing on all of their social channels? Are they posting new blogs, sending regular email updates, or uploading new videos on a consistent basis? When setting your content goals, figure out how to outpace + outperform them to see real results.
- Ad performance – What key phrases are your competitors bidding on? What landing pages are they using? How much are they spending? Tools like SpyFu and Google’s Auction Insights provide a really solid understanding of what you’re up against, to make smarter budget + business decisions.
So, how can you use this information to improve your digital marketing? There are SO many ways! Beyond getting a bit more competitive with your ongoing efforts, you’ll also be able to spot missed opportunities, find new marketing + advertising channels + of course, increase your sales + traffic. Not sure where to start, or looking for a little help in figuring out how to catch up + outperform the competition? We’re here to help!