This tip was originally sent to our mailing list as part of our One Thing Wednesday series! We created our One Thing Wednesday email series to help the housewares industry make the next best move. Each week, we focus on one important marketing initiative you can + should be taking on to improve your digital presence + overall brand performance online.
Not getting our emails? Get on the list!
Social media marketing is not for the weak of heart! It’s time-consuming + tricky. We’ve had one too many applicants here at epower at home that thought a social media specialist just got to sit around on Facebook + Instagram all day, watching viral videos + liking fan comments. There’s so much more to a great social strategy! If you’ve struggled to keep up or make your social program pay off, you’re not alone! For today’s One Thing Wednesday tip, we want to help you work smarter, not harder when it comes to social!
- Review your channels: How many social profiles does your brand have? Are you getting traction, engagement + activity on all of them? You don’t need to be on every social channel + chances are, you shouldn’t be. If you can’t keep a channel active + engaging, or you can’t monitor it well enough to offer great service, you should think about retiring it. Think about who your target audiences are + make sure your social channels align with their interests + online activity.
- Give your profiles a refresh: When was the last time you read through your About section on Facebook or updated your Twitter cover photo? Set up a recurring task for yourself to update your social profiles + channel art regularly. Monthly would be great, but quarterly may be a more realistic goal depending on what else you have on your plate!
- Make a hashtag database: Hashtags can be your best friend + give your social content a lift in terms of reach + discoverability! They can also be a huge pain when it comes to consistency + creativity. Start a list of great hashtags so you’re not reinventing the wheel with every post. If you’ve established branded hashtags, add them to the list. If you’re working primarily with industry or trending tags, keep them all in one place so you can just copy + paste the most relevant ones on your posts. You’ll still need to check for new hashtags regularly + do your research on trending hashtags, but starting with a list of old reliables will save you time + benefit your content.
- Redistribute your content: One of the smartest things you can do when it comes to your social strategy is redistributing your content. Most of your audiences aren’t seeing every post, so a one-and-done approach to publishing leaves too much on the table. Let the data be your guide + repurpose your content across channels – or even on the same channel with a fresh image, different headlines, etc. If a tweet performs really well on a Thursday afternoon, try RT’ing it again Friday morning to build on the activity with a fresh audience. When you have a highly engaging Facebook post, use it on Instagram! Fine-tune the copy, schedule it for a different day of the week or time of day, etc., but make better use of your top content.
- Embrace the tools: There are SO many tools available to help you work smarter when it comes to social media. Here at epower at home, we love HootSuite to help us with client content scheduling, social listening + moderation. As a SharpSpring agency, we also love how easy it is to automate + integrate our social media work with our other marketing initiatives with the built-in SharpSpring Social Media Management Platform! Through the years, we’ve also worked with Later, Tweetdeck, Buffer, Radian6 (now Salesforce Social Studio), and Meltwater. Beyond the obvious scheduling + moderation tools, there are other opportunities to work smarter on social, with tools like Canva, Unfold, Google Trends, Unsplash + more to get better content ideas + create better social visuals!
Have you hit a wall when it comes to social media? You’re not alone! We’ve been helping housewares brands improve their social strategy + generate better results for years! We can start with a one-time social audit to get you back on the right track or talk about how our team can step in + handle more of the day-to-day to free up your time.