Restrictions are being lifted + retailers are starting to open up again. Slowly but surely, it seems like somewhat of a return to normal. Or is it? There’s no doubt that COVID-19 has impacted almost every aspect of our lives + we’ve yet to see the long-term impact of how things will change. What might this “new normal” look like post-COVID-19? What can you do now to set your housewares brand up for a bright future? We’ve put together some ideas from a marketing perspective to help keep your housewares brand moving forward.
Align your marketing strategies + messaging.
We’ve said this before, but it’s worth repeating. Our lives have changed dramatically in such a short time + housewares brands need to keep up. Just in the past few months, we’ve seen:
- More people cooking + baking at home.
- A rise in the popularity of outdoor activities + at-home exercise.
- An increase in people working from home + engaging in distance learning/teaching.
- Increases in pick-up + delivery services
- A heavier focus on all aspects of health + wellness.
These trends are now integrated into our daily lives + home routines. They’re not going to go away overnight or just because restrictions are lifted. In fact, life may never be totally as it was before. So, that begs the question — how do your products fit into this new lifestyle? How are you adding value now + in the future? If you haven’t already, you need to embrace these large-scale trends + adjust your messaging + marketing strategies accordingly to showcase how your housewares products fit into pandemic + post-pandemic life.
Diversify your business.
When COVID-19 hit, businesses that had all their eggs in one basket, so to speak, struggled to adjust + stay afloat. If this pandemic taught us anything, it’s the importance of diversifying. You don’t want to be reliant on one supplier, retailer, or distribution channel to keep you going. In order to achieve long-term success + growth for your brand, continuing to find new ways to branch out is going to be crucial.
- From suppliers to influencers to agencies, form a mix of local, national + international business partnerships.
- Expand your inventory to include a range of housewares products.
- Embrace both online + in-store opportunities for marketing + distribution.
- Test new online platforms, features + capabilities.
While you don’t want to spread yourself too thin, you do want to make sure your housewares brand is diverse enough that you can bounce back when uncertainty strikes.
Plan for future digital events
The timeline for when large in-person gatherings will once again be normal + safe is unclear. Moving forward, a fair share of your customers may not feel safe gathering for quite some time. Whether you’re working with a retailer on a small in-store cooking demo sponsorship or gearing up for a large trade show like The Inspired Home Show, digital events may become the norm for the foreseeable future. Start preparing now to take your future events online or look for ways to expand digital participation. That way, you can maximize event success, minimize technical glitches + give attendees peace of mind.
- Stream your events live to allow anyone to join in from around the world.
- Invest in the necessary technology. Depending on what type of digital event you’re hosting or attending, that may mean adding simple microphones + expanded Zoom/Google accounts or a full-scale digital upgrade with a new website, faster internet speeds + even new computers for employees.
- Use VR (virtual reality) + 360° video tools to provide a more robust digital experience for those that can’t be there in person.
- Use email lists + lookback geofencing data from previous in-person events to start marketing your online/digital event to the right people.
- Embrace interactive tools, apps + social platforms that allow digital viewers to participate in real time.
- Optimize your event landing pages, sign-up forms + other resources accordingly.
- Encourage socialization + networking through chats, groups + one-to-one video sessions.
Invest in digital marketing
While there’s still a lot up in the air, one thing is clear — a strong digital presence is going to be crucial moving forward. As many continue to work, learn, shop + connect with loved ones online — + likely will for the foreseeable future — it’s more important than ever that your housewares brand is putting digital marketing at the forefront. Investing in digital marketing now will make bouncing back from this pandemic easier + help your business pivot as needed as we see how recovery plays out in the months to come.
We know this has been a challenging time for everyone. If you’re struggling to keep up or simply need a fresh perspective on your digital marketing, we’re here to help. Let’s move forward together.