This tip was originally sent to our mailing list as part of our One Thing Wednesday series! We created our One Thing Wednesday email series to help the housewares industry make the next best move. Each week, we focus on one important marketing initiative you can + should be taking on to improve your digital presence + overall brand performance online.
Not getting our emails? Get on the list!
When it comes to social media marketing, most brands fall into one of the following categories:
- You have accounts on too many channels + can’t seem to get a handle on how to get a return from them.
- You have accounts on select social channels but can’t keep them active, so they go dark from time to time.
- You have active accounts, you’re creating great content, but you aren’t seeing the engagement you’d like.
Do any of those describe your brand on social? If so, you’re not alone! Social can be a tough marketing nut to crack. It’s time-intensive, hard to keep up with + often gets pushed to the back burner when more pressing projects come up. We’ve been telling housewares brands for years that they don’t need to be on every social channel, that an inactive or outdated account can do more harm than good. Today, we’re challenging you to do a quick audit of your social media channels. We want to help you work smarter, not harder! Make a list of all your social channels, then visit each one:
- Make note of the post frequency for each channel. When was the last time content was posted to the channel? Depending on the platform, you should be posting weekly, if not daily. How many posts have been published in the last month on each account?
- Is the branding aligned with your website and across all of your social channels, or do individual accounts look like they could be from different brands? Each platform should be an extension of your brand. Are the images, colors + messaging aligned with your latest marketing campaigns or overall brand look + feel?
- How engaged are people with your content? How responsive is your brand? Taking every opportunity possible to respond to your social fans is so important. From liking comments to crafting personal responses, you have so many chances to turn prospective buyers into brand loyalists on social!
- Which channels have the largest following + which are consistently attracting new likes/followers? Prioritizing your social attention + activity is a smart way to make the most of your resources. This step should also shine some light on any channels you should think about retiring.
- Check your website analytics. Which social channels are driving the most traffic to your website? If you’re selling direct from your site, which social channels are driving the most sales?
We’d love to talk more about your social media footprint + how you can work smarter, not harder! We’ve been focusing our digital marketing expertise on the housewares industry for years + are here to help! Our team of social media experts can help you understand where the biggest opportunities are + where you may be spinning your wheels, wasting time + resources. Let’s talk!