This tip was originally sent to our mailing list as part of our One Thing Wednesday series! We created our One Thing Wednesday email series to help the housewares industry make the next best move. Each week, we focus on one important marketing initiative you can + should be taking on to improve your digital presence + overall brand performance online.
Not getting our emails? Get on the list!
Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit, many brands are seeing a drop in both traffic to their website + conversions. Last month, we urged you to dig into your digital data to better understand the numbers + focus your marketing efforts. As a follow up to that tip, we’d like you to to a quick 5-step audit of your website today, to make sure you’re not missing out on traffic, leads or sales because of some easy-to-fix mistakes.
- We use a lot of tools to help us assess + optimize a website. First up today, please visit seositecheckup.com + plug your URL in! The results should pop up in a few minutes, all the results are valuable, but for today’s quick review, check out:
- Meta Title Test: Did you pass? Is your home page meta title under 65 characters? Take a good look at it, does it include key phrases you want to be found for? Is it as relevant to your brand as it could be?
- Meta Description Test: Is your meta description less than 160 characters? Does it include similar key phrases at your title tag? Does it include a compelling call to action readers want to click on?
- Keywords Cloud test: Which keywords are used most frequently on your site? Are they a good representation of what your brand + products offer? Are they the types of keywords your target audiences are searching for?
- Site Loading Speed Test: What’s your website loading time? Is it over the average? Do your customers have to wait to see what’s on your page? If you make them wait too long, they’ll leave. Site load times are really important to both user experience + search visibility.
- Mobile Snapshot Test: How does your website look on mobile devices? If it’s not easy to navigate, you’re at a disadvantage.
- Next up, head over to moz.com to run a domain analysis + paste your website into the tool. While all of the numbers are interesting, I want you to scroll down to the Keyword Ranking Distribution chart. Which rank position lines are the highest for your brand?
- Do you have a lot of keywords in the #11-#20 position? If so, with some strategic SEO work, you’re poised to generate great search visibility!
- If you already have a lot of #1 – #10 positions, but you’re not getting the traffic you’d like from the search engines, it’s time to rethink your optimization strategy + diversifying your traffic sources.
- Last but not least, visit siteliner.com + run your site through the tool. There are a lot of potential issues with your site’s content that could be holding you back from great search visibility. For housewares brands, in particular, issues like duplicate content + broken links can be problematic.
- How many of your URLs are Skipped, Noindex? This tag tells search engines not to include them in search results. Some websites block specific pages for good reason, but some sites have these up by mistake + are missing out.
- How much duplicate content do you have on your site? Search engines like Google need thorough, informative content to understand what’s on your site + when to serve it to searchers. If you’ve got the same copy on multiple pages, how will Google know which one to list in the search results? Why would it think it’s valuable enough for a top search spot?
- What’s your Number of Words per Page count? How do you rank compared to other sites? Again, you need to provide enough copy that the search engines understand what you offer, why it’s important to searchers + what questions it answers or problems it solves, so it can serve your website for the most relevant searches.
If you don’t have the following tools up + running for your site, get them installed today. These are some of the most powerful (+ free!) tools available when it comes to getting digital marketing right.
What did these tools uncover for you? If you have questions on specific results or would like more information on how to fix any of the errors or issues you’ve uncovered, let me know! Our team of SEO specialists loves to dig in + find solutions. Now is a great time to invest in the long-term performance + health of your website with a full SEO audit + optimization plan from our team! Just send us an email or give us a call at (920)267-4362 + we’ll get started!