If you’re writing just for the sake of writing and not going through the additional steps to optimize your content for search, you’re missing out. Search engine optimization (SEO) should be top of mind whenever you’re writing content for your housewares brand. The two go hand-in-hand and completely compliment each other. Without content, there’s nothing for SEO to work with. Without SEO, no one is going to find your content. With that in mind, integrating great SEO into every piece of content you write is a must. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when optimizing your blog posts, website content, landing pages, images, and other content on your site…
- Research what content is currently ranking for the topic you’re writing about or the title you’re using. Once you know that, you can see if the direction you’re going is relevant to users, if your main competitors are ranking, and figure out how your piece can outshine the content that already exists. You can use this research to write timely, relevant, engaging content that fits right in your sweet spot — what you do better than anyone else in the housewares industry.
- Pay attention to the frequently asked questions regarding the topic you’re writing about. Google’s “People also ask” and related search sections are great for helping you get inside the head of your target audience and optimizing your content with key phrases and questions they’re actually searching for. You can also gain some valuable insights into your customers by diving into reviews and responses on your social channels and by chatting with your sales or customer service team, and even your retail partners, too!
- Keep those keywords visible. While you shouldn’t overload and repeat phrases multiple times (or risk getting penalized by Google, or seen as spammy by visitors), be sure you’re using important phrases in your title and headers throughout your piece so it’s easy for search engines to understand and natural for your visitors to read. You should also be including those key phrases in your meta-data, image files, and alt-text.
- Think local. When applicable, be sure to include important local information and key phrases, such as city and state names, hours of operation, and addresses. More and more people are searching for those “near me” results that are not only close by, but open and stocked with the products they need. Even if your housewares brand isn’t focused on selling products locally, your retailers are. Everyone wins when you can direct customers to nearby stores and help your retailers improve their local marketing efforts.
- Develop a mobile-first mindset. With more than 50% of searches occurring on mobile devices, it’s important to be thinking mobile-friendliness while writing and optimizing content. Think of how people use their smartphones and tablets for searches. Easy-to-digest paragraphs, headlines and subheads, attention-grabbing images, and those local key phrases are going to be important for those on-the-go users using smaller screens.
- Use relevant links to develop authority. This can include both off-site and on-site links. Google and other search engines definitely take linking into consideration. The most important thing is that you support your research and connect main ideas and products across your site. For example, you’ll want to make sure the recipes, decorating and organization ideas, style guides, and other tips and tricks you’re sharing on your blog are linking to your relevant housewares products. Avoid linking to content that is too old or from unverified sources.
Of course, this is only the beginning when it comes to optimizing your content! It seems like a lot, but don’t fret! We developed a handy Content & SEO checklist that addresses all of the above (+ more). You and your team can use to instantly help you write, optimize, and publish top-notch content every time.